Monday, January 23, 2012

You Know You are a Mom When...


A) You haven’t been to the dentist in 5+ years…nope, that’s from a lack of dental insurance.

B) While reclining in the chair, bright lights shining down on you as if you are being interrogated, mouth pried open beyond what’s comfortable with two hands and two shiny metal instruments pick, pick, picking & scrape, scrape, scraping YEARS of plaque from your once “pearly whites” you begin to drift to sleep! 

Yep!  That’s right!  And just in case you are wondering…no laughing gas or any other form of anesthetics were involved.  It was as if I was having a spa treatment-all was quiet (except the picking and scraping), everything was still (except my tongue trying to stay out of the way), and I wasn’t expected to do anything (other than hold my mouth open).  AMAZING! 

All too quickly the session ended and the lovely lady cleaning my teeth announced that everything looked great.  I began to panic: Why had this time gone by so quickly? Why have I always likened having my teeth cleaned to being waxed? Why had I put this off for so long (other than the lack of dental insurance)?  And it dawned on me-this is the first time I had been to the dentist as a Mommy.  This was the first time I had been to the dentist exhausted.      

What a difference a couple of years have made!  After she convinced me that I didn't have 8 cavities and that none of my teeth would be rotting out anytime soon we chit-chatted about my son--the cutest boy ever to walk the planet--and she gave me a few pointers on brushing his teeth (which is similar to roping and castrating a bull).  All in all, this dental visit turned out to be one of the most relaxing experiences I have had in awhile!

So, you better believe that when I was checking out and the receptionist forgot to book my future cleaning-I gladly reminded her and am longing for my next treatment on July 31st!

No comments:

Post a Comment